I draw inspiration from many sources. Friends, family, other athletes and the desire to improve.
3. What do you consider your biggest accomplishment in athletics ?
Winning the Haifa Stair race in 2013. The race is a 3km, 1050 step race to the top of a steep mountain in Israel. I’m a mountain goat so I like to climb.
4. What do you currently /did you do in your training that are/were keys to your success?
I regularly did, and I still do, contact all of the West Limerick athletes to get advice and encouragement. Persistence and discipline are also key. Lastly, having a goal and always staying focussed on it irrespective of ups and downs.
5. How many miles on average did you run per week?
Currently my job is physical, so I tend to focus on speed workouts as opposed to clocking up the kilometres. The average is 10-20kms per week (intense).
6. Do you prefer road racing, track or cross country?
I love them all, as long as I can race and it’s competitive.
7. Favourite race distance?
3000m on the track where you can go all out or 5km road race where you have to be a tad cautious.
8. Favourite race location/ race event to take part in?
Zug and Rapperswil, Switzerland.
9. What is/was your diet like?
Very strict and boring but I enjoy it. Water soaked oats with honey and chia in the morning. Bread, grapes and a cucumber for lunch. Dinner is slightly more varied but I keep it clean and simple. I also weigh myself religiously and track it on an app.
10. Who was/is your training partner or did/do you train solo?
Paul Madigan was my training partner in Ireland. We used to play soccer together and run together. He had the better feet for soccer and I had the stronger legs for running. We had some deadly battles up Pa Walls hill. Thomas MacDomnaill and I also used to have a lot of ongoing running battles, also with the twins.
11. What is the best advice that you were given?
I have gathered a lot of great advice over the years, there’s too much to fit on this page!
12. Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
I often recite a Baha’i Writing which influences my daily life “O God, my God, my Beloved, my Heart’s Desire”
13. If you could run with any person, past or present, who would it be?
Nelson Mandela, Cliff Young and Muhammad Ali.
14. Anything else you’d like to share?
It’s wonderful to be in the West Limerick club. I would highly recommend the Park Run to everyone, it’s fun and a great way to be a part of the running community. I would like to thank everyone at West Limerick for always being so supportive and helpful. If anyone ever wants to race in Switzerland, just drop me a line! See you at the next race! 🙂