Name: Breeda Griffin Lynch
Background: I really only took up ‘serious’ running about 5 years ago. I participated in basketball, tennis, and hockey. Probably my favourite was football – loved that sport and played with a great team ‘Gerald Griffins’ where we won the All Ireland in 2000, a magical year.
1. What is your earliest running memory? My earliest running memory was probably when I started Secondary School in Mount Trenchard. They had a cross country race and to my amazement I won and from that day on students nick named me “Road Runner’
2. Where do you draw your inspiration from? I draw my inspiration from probably Catherina McKieran I think she is amazing a great spirited athlete
3. What do you consider your biggest accomplishment in athletics ? Probably my biggest accomplishment in athletics would be when I did Charleville half marathon in a time of 1.26 ‘my fastest half ever’ Also winning xc with West Limerick.
4. What do you currently /did you do in your training that are/were keys to your success? When I was living in Ireland I used to do
Sunday : HOLY DAY REST 🙂
5. How many miles on average did you run per week? I prob run about 35-40 miles a week in OZ. By the way OZ is a very very hilly place its crazy.
6. Do you prefer road racing, track or cross country? Ill be honest I enjoyed road, track and xc but xc was probably the toughest of all.
7. Favourite race distance? My favourite race distance would be 21k
8. Favourite race location/ race event to take part in? Charleville : Flat and fast:)
9. What is/was your diet like? As far as diet well lets just say –
Mon to Friday very clean eating come the weekend well that’s a different story ‘you cant be good all the time right’ As my West Limerick crew knew I liked a nice chinese meal washed down with a glass/bottle/bottlessss of wine at the weekend !!!
10. Who was/is your training partner or did/do you train solo? My racing buddies would defo have to be Caroline Conroy, Mark Purcell and Noelle Aherne. We would always have a great laugh. Caroline would always rock up with her makeup done lovely and always looking stylish 🙂 and I would prob turn up with 2 odd socks and hardly my hair brushed. I try not to train solo as I know I wouldn’t put 100% in.
11. What is the best advice that you were given? Best advice was ‘Listen to you body it says alot’
12. Do you have a saying or motto that you live your life by?
Best motto GO HARD OR GO HOME
13. If you could run with any person, past or present, who would it be? If I could run with anyone I would love to run again with Joe Chawke and crew in UL on Tuesdays (really miss the craic)
14. Anything else you’d like to add? I really enjoyed my time with West Limerick. I had my ups and downs with some races, but I had such support around me I never felt alone. Thanks guys for all your support and who knows I might get to run with West Limerick again some day !!!! I really miss the sandwiches and tea after a race. In OZ were lucky to get water at end of race:)